Elktownship History Pages / General Historyholly

intro

History of the Settlements (Towns) in Elk Township

note

Aura
Ferrell
Lawns
Hardingville
Ewan
Lake Gilman
Wright's Mill
Pine Tavern
Lake Garrison
Church History
School History
Railroad History

Elk Township founded April 17, 1891

GENERAL noteHISTORY

"The information on the HISTORY PAGES
is the Property of All Elk Township Residents
( Past & Present )"
Enjoy the reading

elkbar

bar
Elk Township was settled by Jacob and Leonard Fisler from Switzerland,who purchased land here in 1791. Elk Township was originally noted for its lumbering business,but at present it is known as a farming community ,with some of the finest orchards in the country to be found in the area.

The roads in Elk Township are said to follow the paths of elks, (hence,maybe the name of Elk) . No history can be found to authenticate where the name Elk originated from It was originally called "Shoestring Township" because of its shape which resembles a shoestring, says Mr.Oscar Carr who at this time (1976) is now 93 years old and lives in Glassboro.

It is believed that the earliest residents in Elk Township settled in the Ewan-Bridgeton Pike area, where the oldest homes still standing date to the mid-1700`s.

The Township set aside in April 17th, 1891 has had a good population growth over the years. Est. 5,800+

2,636 (1970 census)

3,806 (1990 census)

?? (2000 census)

It was separated from Franklin, Harrison, Clayton, and Woolwich Townships.

Elk Township is comprised of several small settlements namely : Aura (known as Union, Unionville, Union Station in early 1800`s), Ferrell,(earlier known as Fairview) , Hardingville, Lawns, Lake Garrison, Lake Gilman, Lakeview Park, Clayton Park, and parts of Ewan (earlier known as Ewan`s Mills) & Clayton. You also have the Still Run Development and The Covey Estates.

Still in the works (for the past 14 years) is The Silver Gate Development (672 acres) by the Quaker Group.

The official structure of Elk Township (back in 1976) consisted of a three-member Township committee, but in 1977 will Two more members were added and they now have five members. There is a nine-member school board, which is the controlling force of the Elk Township School system.

Elk Township has expanded it's services to the residents with the roadside pick-up of trash for the households. Recycling by residents to reduce waste. Also a road department was established around 1989.

A new Municipal Building was erected in 1985 to house the offices of the officials who formerly conducted business from their homes.

 

 

holly

Web Site Hosting Courtesy Of Disk Works of South Jersey
"Internet Web Services"
(609) 932-4471
www.diskworks.com
e-mail


Elk Township Home Page | Elk Township History | News | Events | Patrons | Important Phone Numbers | Elk Statistics | Schools | Churches
Fire Companys | Meetings | Birth Announcements | Post-it Notes | Mythology Page | Contest Page | Elk Classifieds
View Our Guest Book | Add Your Name | Kids Zone | Women on the Web | Mens Links | General Links
On Site Home & Business Pages | elktownship.com Site Map | Elk Find (Search Engine) | Elk Location Maps

search

Page design by
sleepy@diskworks.com

2-14-1997

Copyright © 1997-2000, elktownship.com
All Rights Reserved.